Skip to main content Skip to footer content
Home Find your Borough Brent

Frequently asked questions

I have more than one type of waste; can I bring multiple types of waste?

Yes, you can. Please only bring what you can lift and carry.

I don’t live in Brent, but I do live in one of the WLWA boroughs, can I still come to Abbey Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre?

Yes, residents from other WLWA boroughs (Ealing, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow and Richmond) are welcome at Abbey Road but you will need to bring proof of residency (photo ID, utility bill).

Do I need to bring proof of residence to Abbey Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre?

Random checks are undertaken on users of the site. Please bring two forms identification, one photo ID and one utility bill (electricity, gas, council tax) dated within the last four months. The utility bill can be shown on a smartphone.

How should I sort my waste?

Before arriving at the HRRC sort waste into the following categories:

Green waste, textiles, lightbulbs, small electricals, large domestic electricals, TVs, refrigerators and freezers, non-recyclable (black bin waste), batteries (car), batteries (household), books, cardboard, hazardous household chemicals, fluorescent tubes, gas bottles, hardcore and rubble, mattresses, paint (and dry empty metal paint cans), plastics, scrap metal, used engine oil, wood and timber, tyres, fire extinguishers, cooking oil, bulky items such as furniture.

Do I need to double-bag my waste?

The only item that needs double bagging is asbestos. Please view the specific information about asbestos.

What if I miss my slot time?

We are allowing residents who have booked ahead to enter up to ten minutes after their slot time has finished. After this time, we are unable to admit residents and you will be required to re-book.

Can I change my slot to another time?

Yes, you can change your booking via a link in your confirmation email. If you are unable to change your booking slot online, then please email for further help.

Do I need to wear PPE at Abbey Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre?

Not for using our HRRC, however we do recommend you wear sturdy footwear.

Do I need to pay to dispose of my waste and recycling?

Some items are chargeable, view the list here.

There is a charge for DIY waste and waste from businesses. If you bring a mix of chargeable waste with non-chargeable waste, you will be charged as a whole.

How far in advance can I book my slot?

We will be releasing booking slots two weeks in advance only. Please check back for new slots being released.

What if I need help unloading my waste?

You can bring someone you live with to help unload, but only bring what you can lift. Staff cannot assist you with manual handling.

What recycling can I bring?

Metal, wood, carpet, non-recyclables, bulky non-recyclables, green waste, mattresses, paper and cardboard, electrical equipment, fridges and freezers, textiles/clothes, gas small gas bottles, small fire extinguishers, soil, stone, ceramics, plasterboard, cooking oil, engine oil, fluorescent tubes, books, print cartridges, glass bottles, plastic bottles, car batteries, household batteries.

Can I bring my trailer?

Yes, cars can bring a small trailer, but please remember cars only have 30 minutes on site to unload. You may be asked to leave if it takes longer than 30 minutes to unload.

Can I bring my neighbour’s waste and recycling?

As long as you can lift the waste you are bringing to the site, then it is okay to bring your neighbour's waste and recycling.

What if I need to make multiple trips to the site?

You are able to book multiple slots. Please be considerate when booking, the HRRC is available for all residents to use.

I didn’t get a booking reference number?

If you have lost your booking reference number but do not need to cancel or amend your booking then it is fine to come to the site without it. We will be able to find your booking with additional information.

What waste is not accepted at Abbey Road Recycling Centre?

We are currently accepting all waste. However, where possible please use your kerbside collection for black bins (non-recyclables) and dry mixed recycling (plastics, paper, cardboard, tins and glass).

What can I put in the black bag (non-recyclables) waste bin?

Please place non-recyclable plastics, CDs and DVDs, bulky waste and general household waste in the black bin.

Please do not include: textiles, wood, electricals (small and large domestic), fridges and freezers, lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes, batteries (car and household), green waste, asbestos, books, cardboard, hazardous chemicals, gas bottles, hardcore and rubble, mattresses, paint, recyclable plastics, scrap metal, TVs, engine oil and wood, tyres, cooking oil, fire extinguishers, gas bottles, hazardous household chemicals.

How do I know which skips to use onsite?

There will be clear signs around Abbey Road Recycling Centre and if you need help, you can ask a member of staff.

What if I need to change the vehicle I am bringing to Abbey Road Recycling Centre?

Amendments can be made to your booking by following the link provided in your confirmation email. If you no longer have your confirmation email with as much notice as possible to let us know the change of registration.

What if I can’t book a slot online?

If for some reason you are unable to book online, you can give us a call on 020 8937 5050. However, we are expecting high call volumes, please be prepared to queue.

What items will I be charged for?

The charge applies to items that you would not normally take with you when you move home; the fixtures and fittings in your property and garden. The list below shows the type of items that you will be charged for when you take them to the Abbey Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre. If you are unsure please contact us or ask the staff at the household re-use and recycling centre before unloading your vehicle.

Building and demolition material including plasterboard, plaster, roofing tiles, slates, felt, windows, window glass and glazing, doors, wood/timber, MDF, drain pipes and guttering, wall tiles, laminate flooring and floor tiles

Bathroom suites and fittings including toilets, baths and tiles

Kitchen fittings and units including sinks, work surfaces and cupboard doors

Rubble, bricks, rocks, stones, hardcore, slabs, asphalt and tarmac

Soil and turf

Fencing and sheds


Roof aerials and sky dishes


Bonded asbestos

What items can I bring without being charged?

Garden prunings, grass cuttings and tree branches that you bring from your own home.

Plant pots and garden ornaments

Garden benches

Picnic tables and garden chairs

Old compost bins and water butts





Curtain rails


Electrical items

Light bulbs and fluorescent tubes

Light fittings and wires

General recycling such as glass bottles and jars, paper, cardboard, cans and clothes

What are the charges?

The amount residents will be charged at Abbey Road HRRC is based on the total weight of the items you bring to the sites. For every tonne (1000kg) of waste you will pay £160. A minimum charge applies, if you bring the waste in your car you will be charged £16 for up to 100kg or if you use a van the minimum charge is £32 for up to 200kg. Please note that apart from the minimum charge for cars of £16, all other charges are rounded to the nearest whole pound and that weights are calculated to the nearest 10kg.

Why is there a minimum charge?

A minimum charge is necessary to ensure that West London Waste is able to recover the costs that it incurs providing the service and to properly manage the types of waste deposited. It includes the cost of staff, plant, equipment and buildings as well as the cost of transporting and disposing of the waste, including landfill tax which increases each year.

How can I pay?

You can pay with a major credit or debit card (American Express Cards are not accepted). Your payment will be taken by the weighbridge staff and you will be given a receipt. No cash is accepted.

How will you know the weight of the items I want to get rid of?

Your vehicle will be weighed before you unload and again after your car is empty. You will need to park your vehicle on the weighbridge when you arrive at the site and speak to the weighbridge operator to give your details. When you’ve finished unloading your car drive back to the weighbridge, weigh your vehicle again and pay the charge

Where is the weighbridge?

Just before the traffic lights and barrier to the household recycling centre is a small brick building. Drive up to this building in the right and lane and park all of your vehicle on the rectangular area of concrete set in the road. Walk up the steps to the window and speak to the person who will take your details and weigh your vehicle. They will take some details from you and explain what you need to do next.

Why are there charges for specific materials?

Changes to waste legislation and policy in 2012 resulted in higher charges being applied to certain types of wastes. Council tax payers money goes to paying the costs of disposing of usual waste from homes that everyone produces. The HRRCs (Recycling centres/tips) across the country are run under Section 51 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 which permits local authorities to accept household waste without direct charge to residents, but the chargeable materials are not defined in law as household waste. Residents who are bringing in certain types of waste, therefore, need to contribute to the cost of disposing of it to manage the additional cost imposed by the policy legislation changes.

Where is the nearest recycling centre?

There are 6 Household recycling centres in West London. Click here to find which one is closest to you.

Isn’t there a risk of people fly tipping if there is a charge at HRRC?

The majority of the public act responsibly and these charges have been in place for nearly 10 years. Any changes to waste and recycling services, including these charges should not be used as an excuse by someone to be irresponsible. Fly tipping is a criminal offence and people who dump their rubbish at the side of the road or anywhere they shouldn’t are liable to face prosecution. The number and content of illegal dumps of rubbish are recorded and monitored by all local councils. The London Boroughs of Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon will continue to monitor and consider suitable responses to any changes they notice.