There are lots of different types of plastic. Each type has different chemical properties making them hard to recycle all together.
When you look in your rubbish bin most of the items in it, after you’ve recycled everything you can, are made from plastic. For example shrink wrapping and trays for meat and fish. You can take easy and quick steps to reduce the amount of plastic you throw away.
- Don’t buy products you think have too much packaging.
- Buy loose fruit and vegetables not ones in punnets, when you have the choice.
- Buy large bottles so you don’t have to buy as many.
- Buy refillable containers and make sure you buy the refill packs with less packaging.
- Get milk delivered to your door. Glass milk bottles are used up to 20 times before being recycled.
- Reuse plastic boxes such as takeaway containers and ice cream tubs to store other items including leftovers.
- Plant seeds in yoghurt pots until they are big enough to be planted in your garden.
- Use plastic packaging to protect items you send in the post.
- Make plastic tubs into an attractive hamper as part of a home-made present
- Reuse plastic bottles by filling them up with tap water.
- If you have a collection of mixed plastics, check which plastic items you can put in with your recycling. Not all plastic items can be recycled.
#Secondhandfirst Society has been in love with ‘new’ for a long time now. Almost all of this are guilty of this – constantly buying new to replace what we have even though its still in great condition. We need to challenge ourselves to keep finding the value in our items, even though we may hav…