It’s time to Get Swishing
But hang on, what is it and why should I GetSwishing?
If you’ve never heard of Swishing before, where have you been? Don’t worry you’re here now and about to discover a world of free fashion fixes…
In its simplest form a Swish is a clothes swapping partywhere good quality clothes are used as currency to get, wait for it… more clothes. Brilliant isn’t it?
I mean why wouldn’t you? Haven’t we already mentioned the free clothes, shoes and accessories? If you need any more reason then then that, try these for size:
- The average UK household owns around £4,000 worth of clothes – but around 30% of clothing in the average wardrobe has not been worn for at least a year.
- It’s estimated we only wear 13% of our wardrobe regularly…
- And the average UK woman has 22 items in her wardrobe that she has never worn.
We all like to have new clothes, fashion is changing so fast that new styles and ways of dressing are available at all price ranges and in so many outlets these days. As items seem more disposable (maybe due to how cheap they are in the shops, or how your tastes change), what happens is that increasing amounts of perfectly wearable items of clothing end up in the bin – in the UK we throw away around 900,000 tonnes of textiles every year.
Let’s face it – the UK loves shopping. Each year we buy two million tonnes of clothes worth around a staggering £34 billion.
What can I expect at a Swish?
Well, something along these lines:
- Everyone brings along their unwanted items for the first hour or so. Items that are accepted to the Swish are exchanged for tokens.
- Then there’s usually a short break whilst the items get put on to the rails and maybe some light entertainment.
- Finally the Swish is opened and it’s time to browse the rails of clothes, decide what you want to take, and swap your tokens for new items.
Simple! You could get a whole new wardrobe and feel good about saving useful items from landfill.
I’m ready to GET SWISHING!
Is exactly what we want to hear! But where do you find these treasure troves?
First step is to like our Facebook Swishing page GET Swishing – to keep up to date with the latest events going on around west London.
But if you’re not lucky enough to live near any of those you can always look out for them on websites like these:
Want to hold your own?
You need look no further than our 5 step Swishing guide.
Breaking down everything you need to know to run your own Swish into 5 Simple Steps. The guide also includes a series of planning tools including things like safety advice, posters and events checklist, to make sure you’ve not forgotten anything.
Our online guide is available for free at www.getswishing.com
Swishes can make great fundraising events by charging a small entry fee or just a bit of fun with friends over a glass of wine.
If you plan to hold it in west London then we can help! We can supply equipment (rails, hangers, tokens etc.) and staff to help on the day. We can help you plan your publicity and provide some materials. Please contact us for more details on email@example.com.