How big is your app-etite?
If you need some inspiration to whet your appetite, want to plan your meals for the week or need to check how much rice you need to feed 8 for dinner the new Love Food Hate Waste app has something for you.
Launched at the end of April the new app has lots of features to help you save money whilst on the move. While you’re sat on the bus on the way to work you could look at hundreds of recipes, record your own recipes or write your own shopping list.
This free app for both iPhone and Android devices, builds on the knowledge and expertise LFHW has gained over the years. Now it’s incredibly easy for you to save up to £50 a month by making the most of the food you buy. In the UK, we throw away an amazing 7.2 million tonnes of food every year, much of which could have been eaten. This good food and drink costs us around £12bn a year. Wasting less food is not only good for our pockets, but it’s also good for the environment – helping to save energy and water and reducing our carbon footprint.
The app enables users to organise a wide range of information and features, and tailor this to their own, individual requirements using many features including:
- ‘My kitchen’ – store details of all the foods you’ve got at home in your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Add ‘use by’ reminders so you don’t waste food
- Portion planner and a meal planning diary
- 100s of great recipes (with new ones regularly added) with simple, step-by-step instructions
- A feast of helpful tips and ideas from LFHW
- Keep a record of your own creations by adding your recipes to a ‘My cookbook’ section
- Rate and share recipes
- Portion planner and a meal planner diary
- ‘Shopping list’ not only tracks everything you need for your planned meals, but also alerts you if you have duplicates of any ingredients. Instantly ‘unpack’ your food purchases into your virtual kitchen
This is an updated on the previous app and now also offers a ‘My profile’ area where users can record what they’ve cooked, culinary ‘achievements’, and, the chance to opt for connecting via Facebook or Twitter with friends and family who also use the app.
Smartphone users can download the app from Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store. Android users need to have version 3 software installed on their phone for the app to download.