Boo! It’s scary how much food is wasted during Halloween
Apples, pumpkins, chocolates, candies – Halloween provides a bounty of delicious goodies. However, according to a Love Food Hate Waste report half the food we throw away in the UK hasn’t been used in time and isn’t even opened or started. Talk about a fright!
Let’s not food waste haunt us this season. There are great ways to make sure we enjoy all the festivities of Halloween without food waste scaring all the fun away.
Save Spud and Slice this Halloween
An estimated 10 million pumpkins are grown in the UK every year – 95% will be carved into hollowed-out lanterns for Halloween. Sadly, only the remaining 5% will be used for soups, stews and pies according to a recent news article. Rather than throwing away the contents of your lantern, why not turn them into a delicious soup?
Soups are a great way to use up any wrinkly vegetables you may have hiding in the back of the fridge! Don’t forget to help save Spud by mixing in some potatoes with your delicious, nutritious pumpkin. Worried about making too much? Soups can easily be frozen and make an easy warming meal for the busy days leading up to the holidays when you may not have time to cook.
Try this delicious recipe for Lick your Bowl Yam Soup. Substitute the yam with pumpkin. Get even more ghoulishly creative by using up whatever other veg you have lurking in the fridge!
Don’t forget about Slice either. Turn your unwanted bread ends and/or stale bread into seasoned breadcrumbs. Sprinkle them on top of your Halloween soup for a devilishly delicious dinner. Follow this easy tip to make the most of your stale bread.
Last, but not least, did you know pumpkin seeds are rich in minerals? Keep them out of the compost by roasting them while your soup is simmering. Here is a yummy recipe.